A little help needed

Oct 31, 2017 11:23 PM - 130 Views Create A New Thread

General Discussions

By Contact Information

Blaine, WA

Which is which
I have what I think is a '76-'78 Mustang II rack for my '37 Ford, but unfortunately the fittings in the rack are not in the same place as the one in my '33. I want to be sure I'm connecting the right hoses to the right place, but can't find a clear answer online and my casting number doesn't seem to match what I have found.

I've attached a number of photos to see if I have this right. I'm assuming the large line out of the bottom of the reservoir is the high pressure suppy line to the GM type II pump and the smaller line higher up is the return line from the rack. The large fitting on the pump is pulling fluid from the reservoir and then it goes through the pump and out the smaller line on the pump directly into the rack? The other fitting on the rack is the return line to the reservoir. One of the fittings on the rack is 5/8"-18 o-ring and the other is either a 9/16 or 1/2"-20 o-ring, I think a 9/16". In the photos, the one with the pencil in the hole is the 5/8"-18. Which is the return line to the reservoir?


StreetRodding.com Is Proud To Have The Following Advertisers Supporting This Site.

  • Bill33
    Nov 11, 2017 at 6:13 PM

  • LQQK, you're right on. I did confirm that order last week and got the proper O-ring fittings from Russell. I've had the rack for 10 years, but never used it and couldn't find anything that told me where I got it or any instructions, but all is good now. Thanks for the help. Gene, I'll see if I can access that Good-Guys article, I wouldn't mind saving that.

  • GeneF
    Nov 11, 2017 at 4:16 PM

  • Bill, I'm not trying to be a smart A$$, hey we have all done it...Me a lot of time too.

  • GeneF
    Nov 11, 2017 at 4:15 PM

  • I hate to ask, but were there insturctions in the box? If not, try the suppliers website. Even NAPA generally has a little icon you can click on, that opens up tech info from the MFG.

  • GeneF
    Nov 11, 2017 at 4:14 PM

  • The o-rings mean that these fittings are somewhat of a swivel fitting. I know that seems contrary to what we all have experienced, but if you overttighten them, it will crack the nut, and squash the o-ring. It says this in the article...

  • GeneF
    Nov 11, 2017 at 4:13 PM

  • A good tech article on this in the most recent good-guys gazette. Be carefull not to ovetighten the nuts on the rack. Also, if the hoses go on backwards,m once the car gets up to speed, it will mess up the valving if the bluid is flowing backwards.

  • LQQK
    Nov 11, 2017 at 3:01 PM

  • The large hole is the return and the small hole is pressure. And you run the line from the pump to the bottom of the reservoir and you need to put a #8 AN fitting to the pump and the reservoir.
    So it goes from the outlet on the top of the pump to the small hole on the rack. The large hole on the rack goes to the return on the side of your reservoir about part way up on the side of the reservoir. The fitting on the bottom of the reservoir is the suction line bottom of the pump. You need #8 fittings on here as to not starve the pump of fluid.
    if you need the fittings for the pump for #6 AN fittings I have them. I switched to a Flaming River Rack and didn't need them any more. PM me if you want them.
    I hope this helped you a little....

Sign in to comment.

Find Your Street Rod

For Sale

Ford 427 Engine rebuilt with transmission
Used Excellent $15,000.00 Buyer Pay Shipping (Rosharon, TX) Nov 17

new 1932 ford grill shell steel and chrome insert
New $325.00 Free Shipping (, ) Oct 09

Toyota captain seats
Used Excellent $150.00 +$0.00 Shipping (Versailles, KY) Oct 01

Connect With Us


Quick Links