Indy 500 Race

Feb 4, 2018 9:10 AM - 551 Views Create A New Thread

General Discussions

By Contact Information
dwalters

Shell Knob, MO

A long time friend of mine called and said he has tickets for the Indy 500.
I have been given tickets to the Indy 500. (Bucket List) I will be driving from MO and wondered if anyone has suggestions for lodging in Indianapolis?

Thanks, Dave

SHARE THIS THREAD

StreetRodding.com Is Proud To Have The Following Advertisers Supporting This Site.

Comments
  • will547
    Feb 13, 2018 at 9:42 PM

• Nice sounds like a great time indeed.....

• dwalters
    Feb 11, 2018 at 9:01 AM

• INDY Update! I booked a room @ Holiday Inn Express (10 miles from track) Purchased 3-Day Parking @ track, and 2 Bronze Badges. I am taking an ex-student of mine from years ago. He is excited, as INDY was on his "Bucket List", as it was on mine. I taught Auto Shop for 32 years, and have kept in contact with some of my students. Lots of great memories, and more to come. Can hardly wait!

• will547
    Feb 7, 2018 at 12:09 PM

• It is a great time indeed... Willie Moore

• dwalters
    Feb 5, 2018 at 3:23 PM

• Thank you so much for the great (informative) response. I am in my 70's and my long time friend I will take with me is close to 80. It will be a long awaited experience.
    Thanks again! Dave

• lofat46
    Feb 5, 2018 at 10:09 AM

• Dave, you're gonna love it. This year will be my 16th consecutive 500 and my wife's 39th! We stay at the Country Inn & Suites Airport off I-465 at the Kentucky Ave . exit. We've been staying there for close to 8-9 years. Great people. That being said there are numerous hotels around Indy but find one and book it NOW! They are harder to find than hen's teeth as you get closer. A lot of hotels require 2 or 3 day minimum stays for the weekend and of course many jack up rates. Another tip, the race starts at 12:20 PM, plan on leaving your hotel no later than 6:00 AM. No kidding. In past years we have left the hotel at 5:30-6:00 AM and just barely made to our seats before the race starts due to traffic, and the hotel is maybe 10 miles from where we park. Most times we get parked by 7:30-8:00, tailgate a while then walk to our seats by 8:30-9:00 to take in all the pre-race festivities that go on on the track. IMHO, you have to do all this in order get the full effect of the 500. Getting to your seat 10 minutes before the green flag just doesn't cut it. Our seats are in the Northeast Vista just going into turn 3 so we park in a neighborhood off of 30th St. People charge about $20.00 to park on their lawns for the day. It's better than parking in the lots at the track. The only draw back is after the race you may be blocked in until the other car owners arrive, but heck you just party some more. No matter where you park, neighborhood or track or the Coke lot, don't be in a hurry to get anywhere after race and just have patience. Find a map of the track and determine where to park based on where your seat are and park as close as possible. You don't want to be sitting in turn 1 and parking near turn 3. It's a long, long walk.

The track allows you to bring in coolers, food, beverages including alcohol as long as the coolers meet their requirements which if I remember is 14"x14"x14" and can fit under your seat. The exact rules are on the tracks web site. If you can swing it, go to Carb Day on the Friday before the race. It's the last time the cars can test before the race. That's followed by the Freedom 100 Indy Lights race which is quite exciting and then there is the pit stop competition. Later there is the Carb Day concert.

We're going to qualifying the weekend before and also the race weekend so we bought "Bronze Badges" which give you admission to the track each day in May except race day and entrance to the garage area except on race day. The badges run $135.00 each but if you're going to the track for three days on qualifications, and then Carb Day and Legend's Day (Race Saturday) it's a deal considering I think admission is $20.00 per person each day without the Bronze Badges. You can also upgrade to a get pit passes too. Have a great time.

Sign in to comment.

Find Your Street Rod

For Sale

Suicide Latch
New $299.00 +$0.00 Shipping (Orange, CA) Sep 11

Connect With Us

Advertisers

Quick Links